Saturday, November 14, 2015

War. War never changes...

        War never changes, but Fallout series does ...

        Right, after first 10 hours of gameplay I finally want to state my opinion of the game.

          First of all – really it was not what I’ve expected after I saw all those advertisement trailers. We were promised none less but new Fallout 2 Starcraft Baldurs Gate Dark Souls, but from user reviews one can clearly see it was faaaar from truth.

          Far from truth in all directions:

          Graphics: We were promised graphics at least on par with The Witcher 3 level. Graphics is good, really, but comparing to Witcher? Nope, not even close. I can compare Fallout to Wolfenstein or Bioshock – 1-2 years old games – good graphics, but nothing more, although humongous system requirements trying to convince us otherwise. I even bought new videocard – and for what?

          Plot: This is the weakest point. After 10 hours of gameplay I completed only several dull quests. Protagonist is completely emotionless. He comes out on the surface with face like “ok, nuclear explosion, sh*t happends”. The game didn’t tell who are those people, how did they survive, where did they came from. You don’t live with your character, it is like you are playing Counter-Strike. But this is Fallout after all! Remember those quests lines from Fallout 2? I could feel the world is living there and my character lived in that world. Now I cannot understand why, what for, where …

          Gameplay: I don’t like the games when you need to create your own story. Take Bioshock Infinite for example – playing the game is like you are watching awesome action movie, every second something happens. In Fallout things are like this – you want to get fun? Ok, take hundred of house patterns, take walls, doors, bath tubes and flowes – and make your own home! Go and find some fun for yourself! Probably this is the core of sandbox – maybe I just don’t like sandbox games.

        Controls: This is just bad console port, controls are very bad, you can cancel some menus with ESC, but some only with TAB and this is really painful to remember HOW TO CLOSE EACH MENU – like wtf?! Why I cant cancel it all with ESC?

          Crafting system: For those who like The Sims probably it can be fun, although I have doubts Sims fans will play Fallout games. You can salvage everything – very “realistic” indeed.

          So what did we get? Another Skyrim in post-apocalyptic world with guns instead of magic. Skyrim was great (with better plot btw), but why make second one?

          You know, the best game of all Fallout series for me was Fallout Tactics, and you know why? Because the game had its story. You have had clear course of all missions, you knew that in the end of this map new gauss gun awaits you, while F4 presents with another rusted coffee cup in the end of the long cave.
          The only fun moment so far was in the beginning – the nuclear explosion is really well made – I could almost feel it on my skin, and share those people horror. Too bad that’s the only fun moment in the game. I really should spend those 60 bucks somewhere else. If you are Fallout fan – imagine F4 was never released. Probably it was just a mistake to bring Fallout in 3D after all.


Verdict: wasted 60 bucks. Farewell, Fallout, we will never meet again ...

No comments:

Post a Comment